Saturday, August 31, 2013

Good Day of Mixed Emotions

Today was a fairly good day, but filled with mixed emotions.  I finally sat down next to Jerry and discussed issues that everyone needs to discuss before this time comes.  It was one of the most painful things I've ever done.

We discussed an Advance Directive for him, but decided to finish our discussion with the doctor.  We went over things like where he would like to be buried, what music he wanted played at his funeral and what he wanted to be buried in.  Jerry, being the biggest Longhorn fan, wants the University of Texas school song and fight song played at his funeral.  He's even tossing around wearing a Longhorn t-shirt.  He also wants a George Strait song called "The Cowboy Rides Away".  That is one of his favorite songs and one that George Strait plays at the end of his concerts.  I told him what ever he wanted I would make sure it happened.

We had several visitors today.  Kevin and Brenda came by to visit.  They also worked on the yard.  I said something about the shrubs needing trimmed and not only did they trim the shrubs but mowed the yard, weeded, and edged it.  I am so grateful to them because when I try to do it I'm sick for 3 days.  They also helped me out with a shower chair for Jerry and a timer for watering the yard, because I always forget to do it.

After they left Jerry and I both took a long nap, because we were both up half the night with Dixie being sick.  I took her to the vet  because I was sure she swallowed something that was stuck in her throat.  But she is fine, just a scratched throat.  The vet is a new one in this neighborhood but I didn't want to take her to her normal vet because it would be a 5 hour wait.  I told him my situation at home and said I couldn't afford a huge vet bill if it could be helped so he only charged me $50 and that included a shot and medication.   I really did like him, he reminded me of a younger version of our regular vet.

This evening our neighbor, Phil came by to talk to Jerry.  He came by once before right after Jerry got out of the hospital, but had not been back.  I thought he hadn't been back because of the Devil dog that bit him last time.  But that wasn't the case.  He had been ill and didn't want to give it to Jerry which I much appreciate.  We talked about the Lord and the Lords sees everything where we only see out the side window.  I think it lifted Jerry's spirits some.

Jerry ate some today, not much but some.  He did drink more though and I am thankful for that.  He is trying I think.  His pain seems to be getting worse but he says its just his head aches.  It turns out that head aches are one of the side affects of a nausea pill he's taking.  He hasn't seemed as nauseated today as he has the last few days so that is good. 

He's been a little depressed today because he thought some people that are important to him would have been by, but they haven't yet.  I have to admit I got a little upset too because I thought they were being selfish if they were staying away because they are afraid of their emotions.  But then I realized that's the way some people deal with things like this.  Jerry and I just have to remember they do care and they will come when they are ready.

So all in all it was a good day I think.  Lets all pray for more of these. 

No comments:

Post a Comment