Friday, September 6, 2013

Good News Bad News

Jerry had gained 4 pounds when he was weighed at the infusion place today.  We both felt like celebrating a little.  And then they checked his blood pressure.  Sitting down it was fine but when he stood up it would drop.  So he got two bags of IV fluids. 

This morning we got a call from the Social Security Disability office.  They have approved Jerry's disability, but it won't start until January 1st, 2014.  I thought at first it was a mistake because we had been told it would be escalated due to his illness.  Well it seems this is standard practice no matter who gets disability.  It was the application that was escalated.  I was so mad and unhappy about it that I cried on Jerry's shoulder.  I haven't cried in front of him much.

Yesterday the Medicaid office called me again.  The Financial services at the doctors office sent a form to Medicaid called a MASH form.  They asked me how much I made, then asked me 10 million other questions.  Finally they told me I made to much money.  I thought why didn't you just say that in the first place. 

Did you ever think about calling your boss and saying you wanted a pay cut?  At that point I was seriously considering it.  But then I figured if I put him on my insurance at work it would be the same either way.

I went to talk to the financial services while at the infusion place today.  She confirmed that he had been denied for Medicaid, so she had me fill out some other forms and get Jerry to sign one.   If these are approved they will cover his medication and chemo.  I point blank asked her if she thought I should put Jerry on my insurance or wait a little longer.  She suggested I go ahead and add him to my insurance until January 1st.  Then Medicaid should go ahead and kick in since he will officially be disabled.   That actually made me feel a little better because now I feel like things are falling into place.

While we were at the infusion place a family came in with a cake that said "F U Cancer".  They were celebrating the girls last chemo treatment.  And when I say celebrating I do mean celebrating.  It got very loud in there.

Its funny but everyone there is like a big extended family of all ages.  Everyone has one thing in common.  And because of that everyone is cheerful, laughing, exchanging stories about when they lost their hair or some other bizarre story.  Things that we wouldn't normally share outside of the infusion place.  They also help others by sharing information about everything from keeping nausea at bay to financial issues.  It seems there are quite a few people in the same boat that Jerry and I are in. 

My day ended with the vet that I took Dixie too leaving me a message telling me I'm their 100th customer and I won a bath, nail trim and some other things.  Now the big decision is which dog do I take there. 

No comments:

Post a Comment